Jon R. Fetterolf
- 202.778.1880 (DC) or 212.704.4348 (NY)
Jon R. Fetterolf litigates tough cases, defending clients in criminal matters and fighting for their best interests in complex commercial litigation and investigations.
As an MLB-certified agent, Jon also maintains a thriving sports law practice, representing athletes and sports agencies in contract negotiations, salary arbitrations, and litigation.
Jon represents companies and individuals under criminal investigation for antitrust violations, bribery, money laundering, and a variety of other types of financial fraud, including tax, securities, accounting, and government contract fraud.
He conducts corporate internal investigations relating to possible violations of the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act (FCPA) and the Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC), including representing a Fortune 100 company in a resolution with the DOJ and the SEC relating to alleged FCPA violations. Jon also counsels companies on anticorruption issues, including assisting in acquisition due diligence, vetting third-parties, in addition to assisting them in developing corporate compliance plans to address FCPA and OFAC risk. He also regularly speaks on panels relating to anticorruption issues.
Jon also represents companies and individuals in a variety of civil enforcement proceedings and internal investigations, including investigations conducted by the SEC, various congressional committees, and other federal and state regulators, with a particular emphasis on antitrust, financial, and accounting fraud violations.
In his civil practice, Jon focuses on complex commercial matters, with a particular emphasis on antitrust litigation. He has represented corporations and individuals in multidistrict litigation, class action proceedings, and other complex litigation matters in numerous state and federal courts, as well as in international and domestic arbitration proceedings.
As a certified agent with the Major League Baseball Players Association, Jon represents players and coaches in contract negotiations, salary arbitrations, and free agency, as well as negotiated numerous endorsement and marketing contracts on their behalf. Among his clients are two major league players recognized among the 10 smartest athletes in professional sports by Sports Illustrated.
Jon represents players appearing before congressional committees; represented players under investigation by Major League Baseball; advised numerous players and their families regarding their selection in the MLB first year player draft, including a number of high-round selections; and advised amateur athletes and their families on NCAA eligibility issues. Jon also represents sports agencies, agents, and former players in a variety of litigation matters, including salary arbitration proceedings, fee disputes and civil litigation.
Jon regularly speaks on panels relating to baseball salary arbitration, as well as other issues regarding major league baseball. He has served as a judge and panelist at the Tulane Law School National Baseball Arbitration Competition, and he has been a speaker at sports law events organized by Fordham Law School, the Penn State Dickinson School of Law, and the University of Maryland Robert H. Smith School of Business.
Prior to joining Zuckerman Spaeder, Jon was a partner at Williams & Connolly LLP in Washington, DC.
- University of Michigan Law School, J.D., cum laude, 1999
- Order of the Coif
- Order of the Coif
- Haverford College, B.A., 1993
- Haverford College Baseball (1989-1993): Captain, Team MVP, All Region
- Haverford College Basketball (1989-1991, 1992-1993)
- Alumni Varsity Club Award (1993)
District of Columbia
U.S. Court of Appeals, Fourth Circuit
U.S. District Court, District of Columbia
U.S. District Court, District of Maryland
U.S. District Court, Central District of Illinois
- Hon. Pamela A. Rymer, U.S. Court of Appeals, Ninth Circuit
- Hon. Edmund V. Ludwig, U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Pennsylvania
- Member, National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers (NACDL)
- Member, Criminal Justice and Antitrust Sections, American Bar Association
- Member, Sports Lawyers Association (SLA)
- Board of Directors, Strive
- Represented a Fortune 50 company in a five-year internal investigation relating to possible violations of the FCPA. He oversaw a worldwide investigation and risk assessment, and ultimately negotiated a public resolution with the DOJ and SEC.
- Represented a public company identified by the DOJ as a target of an investigation related to allegations of price fixing in the polyester staple fiber industry. After a three-year investigation, the DOJ declined to prosecute.
- Represented a multinational investment bank in investigations by the DOJ and SEC related to a variety of antitrust violations and fraud.
- Represented an accounting firm and its partners in an enforcement proceeding relating to violations of the SEC’s auditor independence rule. After receiving a Wells submission, the SEC declined to prosecute.
- Represented an accounting firm and its partners in a variety of SEC and DOJ proceedings relating to investigations of its clients for accounting, tax, and other types of fraud, as well as investigations relating to adherence to various SEC rules and regulations.
- Represented a multinational investment bank in a DOJ political corruption investigation.
- Represented a senior executive of a public company in a DOJ political corruption investigation.
- Represented a senior executive targeted in a DOJ price-fixing investigation. The DOJ declined to prosecute this individual after a multiple year investigation.
- Represented the CEO of an oil and gas company targeted in DOJ and IRS tax-fraud investigations. After a seven-year investigation involving multiple guilty pleas, both the DOJ and IRS ended their investigations without prosecuting.
- Represented a telecommunications executive in a DOJ fraud investigation.
- Represented a financial services executive in a DOJ fraud investigation.
- Represented a senior executive of a public company in SEC insider-trading investigations.
- Represented several executives in an SEC insider-trading investigation.
- Represented the senior executive of a public company before U.S. Senate and House committees in hearings related to a political leak.
- Represented a principal of a private equity firm in an internal accounting fraud investigation.
- Represented a hedge fund in an SEC investigation related to the purchase and sale of certain securities.
- Represented an accounting firm in response to an investigation conducted by the Public Company Accounting Oversight Board.
- Represented a public company in numerous federal and state class and non-class proceedings relating to alleged price fixing in polyester staple fiber.
- Represented a Fortune 100 company in an international arbitration relating to the termination of a foreign joint venture.
- Obtained dismissal on summary judgment of damages of $400 million over allegations against a Fortune 500 client of theft of trade secrets $400 million.
- Represented a public data aggregation company in various class actions related to data privacy issues.
- Represented a multinational investment bank in federal and state class action proceedings related to bid rigging in municipal derivatives.
- Represented a player in a salary arbitration hearing against the Pittsburgh Pirates, for whom he was then a starting pitcher. Despite a 1-11 record in his most recent season, a three-judge arbitration panel awarded the player his requested salary. This salary arbitration hearing was one of only three cases to go to a hearing during the 2011 salary arbitration season.
- Represented a former All-Star MLB pitcher, who was one of the six players to appear and testify at the 2005 Committee on Government Reform congressional hearings on performance-enhancing drugs in baseball.
- Represented a MLB player in a federal civil lawsuit related to allegations of sexual assault.
- Represented a MLB player in a federal civil lawsuit related to allegations of intentionally transmitting a sexually transmitted disease.
Aide To Pa. Congressman Accused Of 2nd Campaign Scheme
March 20, 2018
Former Bob Brady Aide Asks Federal Judge To Toss Corruption Charges
March 13, 2018
Brady aide Smukler cites porn scandal as key to his defense
The Inquirer Daily News
February 06, 2018
Cards' Martinez denies allegation
Herald & Review
February 04, 2018
Future sports lawyers battle in baseball arbitration competition
January 24, 2018
Overcoming Cross-Border Data, Cyber Security and Privacy Challenges: When and How to Transfer Sensitive Data for Investigative and Compliance Purposes
12th Houston Forum on the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act
January 23-24, 2018
10th Annual National Baseball Arbitration Competition
Tulane Sports Law Society
January 18-20, 2017
Twins GM Thad Levine listens closely, acts ethically
November 07, 2016
Scandal: The Price of Sports Corruption
New York Advertising Week presented with PwC
September 29, 2016
8th Russian and CIS Summit on Anti-Corruption
May 31, 2016
Legal Developments in Corruption and Sports
PwC and Transparency International Global Corruption Report: Sports
May 16, 2016
Salary Arbitration in Baseball and Hockey
November 19, 2015
Congratulations to Zuckerman Spaeder client and World Series Champion Chris Young
November 02, 2015
Royals' bargain buy Chris Young can swing World Series in Game 4
Fox News Sports
October 31, 2015
A Thesis Could Be Written on Haverford College’s Influence in Baseball
The New York Times
July 28, 2015
Tulane Law School Baseball Arbitration Competition
Tulane Law School
January 29-30, 2015
Reds' Simon wants accuser revealed
August 19, 2014
Zuckerman Spaeder LLP Named to The National Law Journal’s Midsize Hot List for Fifth Consecutive Year
June 02, 2014
Summit on Foreign Corrupt Practices Act (FCPA) Risks for Private Equity and Hedge Funds
American Conference Institute
May 21, 2014
16th Annual New York Conference on the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act
American Conference Institute
May 19-20, 2014
Comings & Goings
Wall Street Journal
March 23, 2014
Jeffrey S. Moorad Sports Law Journal Annual Symposium
Villanova University School of Law
March 21, 2014
Morning Docket: 03.20.14
Above the Law
March 20, 2014
Jon Fetterolf Joins Zuckerman Spaeder as Partner
DC City Biz List
March 19, 2014
Jon R. Fetterolf Joins Zuckerman Spaeder LLP
March 19, 2014
Williams & Connolly Partner Leaves for Zuckerman Spaeder
National Law Journal
March 19, 2014
Diligence and third parties
PWC Interview Series
November 07, 2012