Adam Abelson represents clients in complex civil litigation, white-collar criminal defense, and government investigations. His criminal defense focus includes alleged complex financial, securities, and health care fraud, including under the False Claims Act. His civil litigation focus includes securities enforcement actions, complex commercial disputes, and antitrust and legal malpractice matters. He also represents health care providers and their patients in high-stakes disputes with health insurance companies.
He is also deeply involved in the community, including serving on the board of the Job Opportunities Task Force, and contributing, as a member of the American Bar Association’s Task Force on Building Public Trust in the American Justice System, to the American Bar Association’s Ten Guidelines on Court Fines and Fees.
Before joining Zuckerman Spaeder in 2012, he served as a law clerk to Judge Andre M. Davis of the United States Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit, and Judge Catherine C. Blake of the U.S. District Court for the District of Maryland.
As a law student, he represented individuals charged with federal misdemeanors in the U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of New York, through the New York University School of Law Federal Defenders Clinic. For that work he received NYU’s Ann Petluck Poses Memorial Prize for outstanding work in a clinical course. Before attending law school, Adam was a research fellow with Human Rights Watch in Santiago, Chile.
- New York University School of Law, J.D., magna cum laude, 2010
- Order of the Coif
- Ann Petluck Poses Memorial Prize
- Managing Editor, NYU Journal of International Law and Politics
- Princeton University, B.A., cum laude, 2005
District of Columbia
U.S. Court of Appeals, Fourth Circuit
U.S. District Court, District of Maryland
- Hon. Andre M. Davis, U.S. Court of Appeals, Fourth Circuit
- Hon. Catherine C. Blake, U.S. District Court, District of Maryland
- Member, American Bar Association Task Force on Building Public Trust in the American Justice System
- Contributing author, ABA Ten Guidelines on Court Fines and Fees
- Board, Job Opportunities Task Force, 2017-present
- Lawyers’ Alliance, Public Justice Center, 2016-present
- Member, Next Up Program, Greater Baltimore Committee, 2017-2018
- Represents United insureds in a case challenging the legality of the internal guidelines it uses when adjudicating mental health and substance abuse claims. Following a highly publicized trial in 2017, the district court ruled that United breached its fiduciary duties when it developed its guidelines and that its denials pursuant to those guidelines were wrongful. The case is now in the remedy phase.
- Represented a former NFL player in the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit in a lawsuit against the National Football League’s pension plans over benefits for disabilities resulting from brain damage during his NFL career.
- Represented a former employee of a now-defunct international law firm charged with participating in a complex scheme to defraud the firm’s lenders concerning the firm’s financial condition.
- Represented a foreign national targeted in an insider trading investigation conducted by the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission and Department of Justice.
- Represented a post-acute health care company in litigation involving allegations of unfair competition and breach of contract.
- Represented a physician in defending against allegations of improper prescribing practices.
- Represented a pro bono client in a five-day trial in the Domestic Relations Branch of the Superior Court for the District of Columbia. The trial court granted our client legal custody, primary physical custody, and child support.
- Represented an international law firm and a regional law firm against allegations of legal malpractice in litigation in the Circuit Court for Baltimore City.
Blue Cross Blue Shield of Florida Illegally Denied Coverage to Patient with Severe Eating Disorder, According to New Zuckerman Spaeder Class Action Lawsuit
September 05, 2019 | Press release
UnitedHealth Seeks To Scuttle 50,000-Member ERISA Class
May 06, 2019 | In the news
2019 | Press release
Federal Court Rules that UnitedHealth Group Subsidiary Illegally Denied Mental Health and Substance Use Coverage to Tens of Thousands of Patients – Including Thousands of Children
March 05, 2019 | Press release
Judge Rips UnitedHealth's Shortsighted Behavioral Care Rules
March 05, 2019 | In the news
2nd Circ. Says Conn. Wine Law Not Anti-Competitive
February 20, 2019 | In the news
Zuckerman Spaeder Clients Win Lawsuits to Stop Cuts and End Implementation Delay of Changes to the 340B Drug Pricing Program
January 03, 2019 | Press release
Zuckerman Spaeder Clients Win Lawsuits to Stop Cuts and End Delay of Changes to the 340B Drug Pricing Program
January 03, 2019 | In the news
Hospitals Sue HHS For Slow-Walking 340B Penalties
September 12, 2018 | In the news
4th Circ. Rules NFL Retirement Plan Wrongly Denied Benefits
June 23, 2017 | In the news
NFL must pay benefits for ex-player's brain injury, 4th Circuit says
The Daily Record
June 23, 2017 | In the news
Appeals Court Rules Against NFL Pension Plan, Finds Ex-Player "Totally Disabled" From Concussion and CTE
June 23, 2017 | Press release
The Daily Record Names Adam Abelson a 2017 Generation J.D. Honoree
April 17, 2017 | Press release
The Daily Record names its 2017 Leadership in Law winners
The Daily Record
March 16, 2017 | In the news
Zuckerman Spaeder Obtains Agreement to Dismiss Charges Against Client Zachary Warren
February 16, 2016 | Press release
Insider trading ‘minefields’ abound
Baltimore Business Journal
January 22, 2016 | Publication
Procrastinators Rejoice! Ethics Seminar for Virginia CLE
Zuckerman Spaeder LLP
October 31, 2014 | Speaking Engagement
Procrastinators Rejoice! Ethics Seminar Series for Virginia CLE
Zuckerman Spaeder LLP
October 31, 2013 | Speaking Engagement
The Prosecute-Extradite Dilemma: Concurrent Criminal Jurisdiction and Global Governance
UC Davis Journal of International Law and Policy
December 09, 2009 | Publication
Las externalidades y la seguridad privada: Un marco teórico para la regulación
Economía Política de la Seguridad Ciudadana (Fernando Carrión & Manuel Dammert eds.)
June 11, 2009 | Publication
“Book Note” (reviewing International Justice in Rwanda and the Balkans: Virtual Trials and the Struggle for State Cooperation, Victor Peskin)
NYU Journal of International Law and Politics
December 11, 2008 | Publication