Alicia Shelton represents individuals and corporations in complex civil disputes, class action litigation, and white collar criminal defense.
She also represents lawyers and law firms in legal malpractice claims and professional liability issues.
Alicia’s practice focuses on representing companies, executives, and individuals in issues related to the False Claims Act, federal health care fraud statutes, the federal anti-kickback statute and the Sherman Act. She also has represented clients in commercial civil litigation matters, shareholder class actions, consumer class actions, government investigations, legal malpractice claims, and regulatory appeals.
Her legal career also included a clerkship with Hon. Lynne A. Battaglia in the Court of Appeals for Maryland and internships with the Maryland WBA Foundation, the Food and Drug Administration, and Hon. Susan K. Gauvey’s office in the U.S. District Court for the District of Maryland.
Prior to law school, Alicia owned a restaurant and bar in Long Beach, California, and worked as business development director for a prosthetics and orthotics manufacturer and for the Chesapeake Pain Center.
- University of Baltimore School of Law, J.D., with honors, 2014
- Editor in Chief, University of Baltimore Law Forum
- LAW Scholar, Torts
- Davidson College, B.A., 2001
District of Columbia
U.S. Court of Appeals, Eleventh Circuit
U.S. Court of Appeals, Fourth Circuit
U.S. District Court, District of Columbia
U.S. District Court, District of Maryland
Court of Appeals of Maryland
- Hon. Lynne A. Battaglia, Court of Appeals for Maryland
- Treasurer, Equal Justice Associates, Maryland Legal Aid
- Member, Women’s Advocates Committee, American Bar Association
- Member, Standing Committee on Paralegals, American Bar Association
- Member, Strategic Implementation Committee, Maryland State Bar Association
- Member, Litigation Section, Maryland State Bar Association
- Member, Bench and Bar Liaison Committee, Maryland Federal Bar Association
- Member, Women’s White Collar Defense Association
- Chair of the Board of Directors for Baltimore Animal Rescue & Care Shelter, Inc.
- Volunteer, Adelante Latina
- Represents plaintiffs in an antitrust class action against a large insurance company alleging illegal horizontal restraints of trade.
- Represents insurance underwriters in insurance coverage and subrogation actions related to lead paint claims.
- Defended a state university system in a decade-long dispute related to the state’s historically black colleges, resulting in a seven-week trial addressing a proposal for a multi-billion-dollar restructuring of that system.
- Represented a construction management and contracting firm in a lawsuit involving delay and acceleration claims that resulted in a settlement on the eve of trial.
- Represented former executives and business professionals against allegations of misappropriation of trade secrets and violations of the Computer Fraud and Abuse Act that resulted in the dissolution of temporary injunctions and the invalidation of restrictive employment covenants.
- Obtained preliminary restraining orders on behalf of a corporate client against former employees, enjoining the employees from using stolen corporate trade secrets and preventing the former employees from soliciting clients and current employees on behalf of a competitor business.
- Represented an executive of a major regional non-profit in a complex ten-defendant ERISA enforcement action brought by the Department of Labor. Obtained summary judgment on the eve of trial.
- Represented health care providers in government and internal investigations of alleged fraud and abuse.
- On behalf of a medical institution, conducted an investigation of allegations of sexual harassment.
- Represented targets, and defendants in federal investigations and administrative proceedings concerning money laundering, bank fraud, false statements to the government, and other white collar and enforcement matters.
Alicia Shelton Receives the Pro Bono Resource Center of Maryland’s Judge Robert M. Bell Award
April 27, 2021 | Press release
Super Lawyers (Maryland)
2021 | Press release
Electronically Stored Information in Maryland Courts
Maryland State Bar Association, Inc.
May 12, 2020 | Publication
Zuckerman Spaeder Secures Expedited Compassionate Release for Terminally-Ill Prisoner
April 24, 2020 | Press release
Alicia Shelton Selected to Maryland Daily Record’s Women Who Lead Initiative
March 05, 2020 | Press release
Meet the Women Who Lead Initiative 2020 class
Maryland Daily Record
March 04, 2020 | In the news
Entrepreneurial Spirit, an Interview with Alicia Shelton
Maryland Bar Journal
Spring 2019 | In the news
Md. Legal Aid hosts launch party for Equal Justice Associates
The Daily Record
November 27, 2018 | In the news
The Daily Record Names Alicia Shelton a 2018 Leading Woman
October 05, 2018 | Press release
Legal nonprofit expands access to Maryland court data with system aimed at helping low-income clients
The Baltimore Sun
July 20, 2018 | In the news
The Spoliation Doctrine in Maryland
The Litigator, a publication of the Maryland State Bar Association
October 2017 | Publication
Perspectives on Predictive Coding and Other Advanced Search Methods for the Legal Practitioner
American Bar Association
December 09, 2016 | Publication
With ESI, difference between federal, state rules
The Daily Record
June 20, 2016 | Publication