An experienced litigator, Candace Jackson-Akiwumi focuses her practice on complex civil litigation, white collar criminal defense, and investigations.
Before joining the firm, Candace spent ten years as a staff attorney at the Federal Defender Program, Inc. in Chicago. As a federal public defender, she represented hundreds of clients accused of federal crimes ranging from fraud to firearms. Candace represented clients at every stage of the process, from investigation to trial, sentencing, and appeal, including petitions for writ of certiorari to the U.S. Supreme Court. She successfully advised grand jury appearances, negotiated pleas, achieved reduced sentences, and attained diversions from prosecution and other favorable results for clients and communities. She tried a number of federal jury trials and argued a half dozen appeals in the U.S. Court of Appeals.
During her decade as a defender, Candace was a featured speaker at two dozen presentations on federal practice and was a contributing author to a treatise on federal criminal practice. She also served as an Adjunct Professor at Northwestern Pritzker School of Law in Chicago.
Candace began private practice at the Chicago office of Skadden, Arps, Slate, Meagher & Flom LLP, where she litigated complex civil cases related to contracts, tax, privacy, securities, and patent infringement.
After law school, Candace was a law clerk to the Hon. Roger Gregory of the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit and the Hon. David Coar of the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois.
Candace received her J.D. from Yale Law School, where she was a Senior Editor of the Yale Law Journal and NAACP LDF Earl Warren Legal Scholar. She received her bachelor’s degree, with honors, from Princeton University.
- Yale Law School, J.D., 2005
- Senior Editor and Admissions Committee, Yale Law Journal
- NAACP LDF Earl Warren Scholar
- Princeton University, A.B., with honors, 2000
Not admitted in the District of Columbia. Admitted in Illinois and Virginia only. Application pending for admission to the District of Columbia Bar. Practicing under direct supervision of firm principals who are members of the District of Columbia Bar.
U.S. Court of Appeals, Seventh Circuit
U.S. District Court, Northern District of Illinois
- Hon. Roger Gregory, U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit
- Hon. David Coar, U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois
- Staff Attorney
- Federal Defender Program for the Northern District of Illinois
- Board Member, Federal Bar Association, Chicago Chapter, 2012-2020
- Appointed Member, Princeton University Alumni Council, 2015-Present
- Director and Vice President for Alumni Schools, Princeton Club of Chicago, 2010-2020
- Board Member and Committee Chair, Black Women Lawyers’ Association of Greater Chicago, 2011-2018
- Appointed Member, Yale Law School Executive Committee, 2009-2012
- Member, Women’s White Collar Defense Association
President Biden Announces Intent to Nominate 11 Judicial Candidates
March 30, 2021 | In the news
Former Federal Public Defender Joins Zuckerman Spaeder
December 01, 2020 | In the news
Former Federal Public Defender Candace Jackson-Akiwumi Joins Zuckerman Spaeder
November 30, 2020 | Press release