Daniel P. Moylan
Daniel P. Moylan represents clients in a range of complex business litigation matters, including disputes in the areas of intellectual property, health care and pharmaceuticals.
Dan’s recent work includes coordinating the efforts of a multi-national team of lawyers and experts in matters involving the international distribution of pharmaceuticals, including in international arbitrations and related court proceedings.
Dan has litigated numerous copyright, trademark, and trade secret claims, as well as contractual issues for patented technologies.
From 2001 to 2004, Dan served as an assistant prosecutor in the Office of the Prosecutor for the International Criminal Tribunal for the former Yugoslavia (The Hague, The Netherlands).
In that role, he briefed and argued matters before the Trial and Appeals Chambers, including in Prosecutor v. Radislav Krstić (IT-98-33A), in which the prosecution secured the conviction of a Bosnian Serb corps commander for his role in the Srebrenica genocide.
Prior to attending law school, Dan worked as a software programmer for a federal contractor.
- Georgetown University Law Center, J.D., 2000
- Student Advocate, Criminal Justice Clinic
- Annual Review Editor, Journal of Gender and the Law
- Best Team Brief, Prince National Moot Court Competition, 1999
- Best Oralist, Leahy Moot Court Competition, 1998
- University of Maryland, Baltimore County, B.A., cum laude, 1995
U.S. Court of Appeals, Fourth Circuit
U.S. District Court, District of Maryland
- Hon. Beth P. Gesner, U.S. District Court, District of Maryland
- International Criminal Tribunal for the Former Yugoslavia
- The Hague
- Member, American Bar Association (IP Section)
- Member, Federal Bar Association
- Member, Maryland Bar Association
- Represented an intermediate supplier of generic pharmaceuticals in numerous matters involving the enforcement of its commercial agreements and IP rights in the Asia-South Pacific region, including through international arbitrations and parallel court actions. In these matters, we have coordinated the work of a team of experienced counsel and industry experts from various countries. Our enforcement efforts have led to favorable and cost-effective resolutions, allowing the client to strengthen its market position against encroachment by potential competitors.
- Represented a pharmaceuticals supplier in a dispute against its finished dosage manufacturer based in Shanghai concerning a regulated post-surgical medicine sold in Australia. Following an international arbitration hearing in May 2015, in which Dan served as co-lead counsel, the tribunal awarded our client substantially all relief sought in its statement of claim, including an arbitral declaration that the manufacturer had misappropriated the client’s confidential and proprietary information.
- Defended the owner and operator of a high-end golf club in successive federal and state actions brought by former members who pled various state and federal claims. We have successfully defended the client in all cases litigated to final judgment, including a state court summary judgment in 2012 and a complete defense judgment following a federal jury trial in April-May 2015, in which Dan served as first-chair trial counsel.
- Represented a real-estate management firm in a grand jury investigation of trafficking in counterfeit merchandise. Following a legal and factual presentation to federal prosecutors that spanned parts of two days, the government declined to seek an indictment and returned all funds seized from the client's bank accounts.
- Defended an investment company and its principals in a dispute over the ownership, licensing, and management of a multi-part television documentary series set for broadcast on American public television and international distribution. After coordinating protracted litigation in multiple forums in the United States and Canada, we successfully navigated a contentious settlement process involving numerous third-party stakeholders. Ultimately, this resolution allowed our client to engage an alternative film producer to complete the film.
- Defended an executive and former general counsel of a major public health care insurance company in connection with federal health care fraud charges. The indictment involves complex legal and accounting issues regarding the Florida Medicaid behavioral health care program. A related civil suit filed by the SEC alleged fraud, false filings, and related violations of the Securities Act.
- Defended a national law firm against legal malpractice claims stemming from advice rendered to corporate officers involved in a protracted governance dispute, resulting in a defense summary judgment on substantive as well as procedural grounds.
- Defended sellers of a design and manufacturing company against purchaser warranty claims based upon patented rail technologies. Achieved a preliminary dismissal of the adversary’s highest-value claim against our clients, which led to a settlement on highly favorable terms.
- Prosecuted claims brought by a German publisher over its rights to receive priority distribution of proceeds from the sale of an Xbox video game, leading to a substantial monetary recovery against a leading Xbox production firm.
- Defended a software firm against trade secrecy claims arising from replacement of the plaintiff firm’s facilities management software system, leading to a settlement on highly favorable terms.
- Defended a national university and research professor against claims involving the sponsorship and licensing of patented cancer biomarkers. Achieved a preliminary dismissal of both clients on jurisdictional grounds, which afforded them substantive and procedural advantages in an alternative forum.
- Defended claims against a nationally recognized surgeon for a share of royalties based upon sales of patented surgical technologies that the client had invented, resulting in a favorable settlement.
31 Zuckerman Spaeder Attorneys Recognized in 2019 Edition of The Best Lawyers in America; Three Partners Named “Lawyer of the Year”
August 15, 2018
29 Zuckerman Spaeder Attorneys Recognized in 2018 Edition of The Best Lawyers in America; Partner Mark Foster Named “Lawyer of the Year”
August 16, 2017
30 Zuckerman Spaeder LLP Attorneys Recognized in 2017 Edition of The Best Lawyers in America; Three Partners Named "Lawyers of the Year"
August 15, 2016
Zuckerman Spaeder lawyers recognized
The Daily Record
September 11, 2015
Best lawyers 2016
Baltimore Jewish Times
September 10, 2015
32 Zuckerman Spaeder LLP Attorneys Recognized in 2016 Edition of The Best Lawyers in America and Three Partners Named "Lawyers of the Year"; Firm is Top-Listed Nationally for White Collar Criminal Defense
August 17, 2015
32 Zuckerman Spaeder LLP Attorneys Recognized in 2015 Edition of The Best Lawyers in America and Two Partners Named “Lawyers of the Year”; Firm Is Top-Listed Nationally for White Collar Criminal Defense
August 26, 2014
Law360 Names Attys Who Moved Up The Firm Ranks In Q1
April 10, 2014
Daniel P. Moylan / People on the Move
Baltimore Business Journal
January 14, 2014
Zuckerman Spaeder LLP Names Daniel P. Moylan Partner
January 13, 2014
Zuckerman Spaeder lawyers honored by ‘Best Lawyers in America’
The Daily Record
September 04, 2013
27 Zuckerman Spaeder LLP Attorneys Recognized in 2014 Edition of The Best Lawyers in America®; Firm Is Top-Listed Nationally for White Collar Criminal Defense and Two Partners Named “Lawyers of the Year”
August 15, 2013
Zuckerman Spaeder, lawyers honored
The Daily Record
August 29, 2012
26 Zuckerman Spaeder LLP Attorneys Recognized in 2013 Edition of The Best Lawyers in America
August 23, 2012
Zuckerman Spaeder LLP Named to The National Law Journal’s Midsize Hot List for Third Consecutive Year
May 01, 2012
Zuckerman Spaeder LLP Partners William J. Murphy and John J. Connolly Receive Gribbon Pro Bono Advocacy Award
December 06, 2011
27 Zuckerman Spaeder LLP Attorneys Recognized in 2012 Edition of The Best Lawyers in America
September 08, 2011
Zuckerman Spaeder LLP Expands with Addition of Five Lawyers from Baltimore Litigation Boutique
February 28, 2011
Intellectual Property and Information Wealth (Praeger)
February 01, 2007
The Evolving Common Law Doctrine of Copyright Misuse: A Unified Theory and Its Application to Software
Berkeley Technology Law Journal
July 03, 2000