Dwight P. Bostwick
Firm Chairman and Partner
Dwight P. Bostwick has been recognized by The Best Lawyers in America for his success in complex commercial litigation and white collar defense. He provides sound judgment and effective advocacy in high-stakes disputes.
Dwight also serves as Chairman of Zuckerman Spaeder’s Executive Committee and Partnership Board.
In the civil arena, Dwight has successfully represented both plaintiffs and defendants in multimillion-dollar litigation involving claims for fraud, breach of contract, securities violations, and antitrust conspiracies.
In white collar crime matters, Dwight has successfully defended a range of clients in investigations and cases brought by the U.S. Department of Justice (DOJ), the Securities & Exchange Commission (SEC), the Federal Trade Commission (FTC) and other agencies. He has significant experience defending investigations involving banking, health care, and accounting fraud, as well as allegations of insider trading, foreign corrupt practices, and securities fraud.
Dwight has represented a wide variety of clients from the United States, Europe, and South America including executives, government officials, state and national associations, professional services firms, nonprofits, labor unions, and corporations in the technology, health care, financial and commercial industries.
Early in his career, Dwight served in the Department of Justice, first in the Criminal Division’s Fraud Section and later in the Deputy Attorney General’s Office. While at DOJ, Dwight was one of three prosecutors selected to lead the original Whitewater grand jury investigation prior to the appointment of independent counsel.
- Georgetown University Law Center, J.D., 1988
- Stanford University, B.A., 1983
District of Columbia
U.S. Court of Appeals, District of Columbia Circuit
U.S. Court of Appeals, Fourth Circuit
U.S. Court of Appeals, Seventh Circuit
U.S. District Court, Northern District of Illinois
U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Michigan
D.C. Superior Court
D.C. Court of Appeals
- Hon. Manuel L. Real, U.S. District Court, Central District of California
- Deputy Special Counsel for Financial Institution Fraud
- Deputy Attorney General’s Office
- U.S. Department of Justice
- Trial Attorney
- Fraud Section
- U.S. Department of Justice
- Represents a foreign national and various corporate entities in the United States and abroad in the FIFA investigation. The clients were targeted by DOJ in an investigation involving bribery and money laundering in international soccer.
- Represents the former Chief Accounting Officer of a multibillion-dollar real estate investment trust in parallel civil and criminal proceedings. The client has been targeted by DOJ and the SEC in an investigation of accounting and securities fraud.
- Represents a foreign national targeted in an insider trading investigation conducted by the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission and Department of Justice.
- Represented former professional football players in the high-profile concussion related lawsuit against the National Football League (NFL). Our firm, along with a limited number of parties, filed an appeal calling the 2015 settlement “unfair, unreasonable and inadequate” for its disparate treatment of former NFL players who were diagnosed with CTE before the settlement and those who will be diagnosed after the settlement.
- Represents two clients in a Foreign Corrupt Practices Act investigation conducted by the Fraud Section of the Department of Justice and the Securities and Exchange Commission arising out of the Petrobras or “Lava Jato” scandal in Brazil.
- Represented an international pharmaceutical company headquartered in Paris in a multimillion-dollar lawsuit against Abbott Laboratories alleging antitrust violations in restraint of trade in the billion-dollar-a-year heart medication market.
- Represented a national accounting firm and numerous partners in a grand jury investigation relating to alleged accounting improprieties. The client, a target of the federal criminal investigation, was not indicted and entered an agreement with the government disposing of the matter.
- Represented a national association, a state association, individual psychologists, and mental health patients in a test case asserting breach of contract and fraud claims against Blue Cross and CareFirst in connection with the marketing and implementation of a managed care plan. The clients entered a favorable settlement prior to trial.
- Represented a telecommunication entrepreneur and his company in a suit for recovery of a multimillion-dollar investment made to an Israeli company in an internet technology platform based on claims of fraud and breach of contract. The client entered a favorable settlement on the eve of trial.
- Represented an international pharmaceutical company in multimillion-dollar litigation alleging breach of contract, breach of the covenant of good faith and fair dealing, and misuse of trade secrets. The client entered into a favorable settlement following mediation and prior to trial.
- Represented a top official of the U.S. Department of the Interior in civil and criminal contempt proceedings. The client successfully avoided civil and criminal contempt findings.
- Represented the executive board of one of the nation’s largest labor unions in a series of emergency trusteeships, union hearings, hearings in federal district court, and hearings before the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit to help rid the labor union of organized crime influence and financial misconduct. Additionally, he was selected by the union and approved by the U.S. Department of Justice to serve as the financial compliance officer for the union’s national elections in 2001, 2006, and 2011.
- Represented a target in a USAID investigation of alleged misuse of federal proceeds by the CFO of a non-governmental organization. The government ultimately declined the matter.
- Represented a federal contractor in Virginia and two senior executives in an investigation into billing fraud. The client avoided indictment.
- Represented two former attorneys in their efforts to testify to antitrust violations they observed while working for the tobacco industry. Both clients were granted immunity from all 50 states before testifying in a number of tobacco-related cases. One client was on the stand testifying when the tobacco companies agreed to the historic $206 billion settlement with the State Attorneys General.
- Represented a subject in the Abramoff grand jury investigation. The client was granted immunity.
- Represented a subject in the Sandy Berger grand jury investigation. The client ultimately received a non-prosecution letter.
29 Zuckerman Spaeder Attorneys Recognized in 2018 Edition of The Best Lawyers in America; Partner Mark Foster Named “Lawyer of the Year”
August 16, 2017
30 Zuckerman Spaeder LLP Attorneys Recognized in 2017 Edition of The Best Lawyers in America; Three Partners Named "Lawyers of the Year"
August 15, 2016
The 'Industrial Disease' of the NFL and the Settlement that Sidelines Some Players
June 18, 2016
The 2016 Midsize Hot List: Zuckerman Spaeder
National Law Journal
May 23, 2016
Sizzle and Steak at Zuckerman Spaeder
The National Law Journal
January 25, 2016
Zuckerman Spaeder Names Dwight P. Bostwick Chairman
January 13, 2016
A 40-year D.C. law firm seeks to stay small, successful in midst of Big Law
The Washington Post
January 10, 2016
Zuckerman Spaeder LLP Attorneys Appeal NFL Concussion Settlement
August 19, 2015
32 Zuckerman Spaeder LLP Attorneys Recognized in 2016 Edition of The Best Lawyers in America and Three Partners Named "Lawyers of the Year"; Firm is Top-Listed Nationally for White Collar Criminal Defense
August 17, 2015
32 Zuckerman Spaeder LLP Attorneys Recognized in 2015 Edition of The Best Lawyers in America and Two Partners Named “Lawyers of the Year”; Firm Is Top-Listed Nationally for White Collar Criminal Defense
August 26, 2014
The NFL Settlement: What's the Deal?
January 31, 2014
27 Zuckerman Spaeder LLP Attorneys Recognized in 2014 Edition of The Best Lawyers in America®; Firm Is Top-Listed Nationally for White Collar Criminal Defense and Two Partners Named “Lawyers of the Year”
August 15, 2013
Q&A With Zuckerman Spaeder's Dwight Bostwick
May 06, 2013
17 Zuckerman Spaeder LLP Attorneys Named Washington, DC “Super Lawyers”
April 30, 2013
26 Zuckerman Spaeder LLP Attorneys Recognized in 2013 Edition of The Best Lawyers in America
August 23, 2012
Ten Zuckerman Spaeder LLP Attorneys Recognized as Washington, DC “Super Lawyers”
April 26, 2012
27 Zuckerman Spaeder LLP Attorneys Recognized in 2012 Edition of The Best Lawyers in America
September 08, 2011
24 Zuckerman Spaeder LLP Attorneys Recognized in 2011 Edition of The Best Lawyers in America
August 01, 2010
22 Zuckerman Spaeder Attorneys Recognized in 2010 Edition of The Best Lawyers in America
August 30, 2009
Zuckerman Spaeder LLP Welcomes New Lateral Partner
May 14, 2009