Justin R. Cochran
Justin R. Cochran represents businesses and individuals in high-stakes government investigations, criminal litigation, and commercial disputes. His clients often include entities and providers in the health care industry who require assistance navigating business disputes, internal investigations and interfacing with the federal government. Some of his clients include:
A German car manufacturer executive and board member in one of the largest US Department of Justice (DOJ) criminal investigations of all time.
A former CEO and board member of two fortune 500 companies involved in a criminal insider trading investigation by the SDNY, in addition to an SEC investigation.
A senior manager employed by an asset management firm involved in various civil disputes and providing frequent legal advice on business matters.
Whether it is the service of a grand jury subpoena, issuance of a Civil-Investigative Demand, the investigator knocking at the company’s door, the execution of a search warrant or a criminal indictment, corporate and individual clients rely on Justin for his dedication, advice and legal defense in difficult situations.
Justin’s commercial litigation experience includes contractual breach, fraud, and securities-related actions. He has represented some of the largest financial institutions in commercial finance and consumer bank litigation. In two of these cases, he took and defended more than 60 depositions of borrower and lender personnel.
Prior to entering private practice, Justin was a judicial intern to the Hon. James C. Mahan of the U.S. District Court for the District of Nevada. He received his J.D., with a health law concentration, from Boston University School of Law, where he was editor of the American Journal of Law & Medicine. He received his B.A., cum laude, from the University of Southern California.
- Boston University School of Law, J.D., 2010
- Honors, Health Law Concentration
- Editor, American Journal of Law & Medicine
- University of Southern California, B.A., cum laude, 2007
U.S. Court of Appeals, Ninth Circuit
U.S. Court of Appeals, Eleventh Circuit
U.S. District Court, Middle District of Florida
U.S. District Court, Northern District of Florida
U.S. District Court, Southern District of Florida
U.S. District Court, District of Nevada
- 200+ Hour Club, Legal Aid Center of Southern Nevada, 2012
- Board of Directors, Rebuilding Together Southern Nevada, 2012-2014
- Represents an owner of a home health agency in a False Claims Act lawsuit filed by DOJ and the U.S. Attorney’s Office.
- Represents London Market Insurers involved in a substantial coverage dispute with the former manufacturers of lead paint.
- Represents several lawyers in the legal department of a Fortune 500 healthcare services company in a grand jury investigation involving allegations of healthcare fraud.
- Represented a dermatologist in a criminal investigation by the U.S. Attorney’s Office.
- Represented a business owner in a money laundering investigation by the DOJ.
- Represents a medical spa company in providing legal and regulatory advice.
- Represents a medical spa in a lawsuit against a dermatology practice and two former employees.
- Represented a fitness company in business and regulatory matters.
- Represents an animal rights and welfare organization in litigation under the Endangered Species Act.
- Represents a performance nutrition company involved in a dispute over clinical trials with a research university.
- Represented a large dermatology practice investigated by the U.S. Attorney’s Office under the False Claims Act. Obtained a favorable settlement outside of the FCA context and without press attention.
- Represented a publicly traded healthcare technology company in a tortious interference lawsuit and obtained fees and costs in the defense.
- Represented an entrepreneur in various investigations by DOJ involving biodiesel tax credits and the sale of RINs.
- Represented a large financial services company defending a purported class action lawsuit brought by a merchant. Obtained victory on Motion to Compel Arbitration and similar victories in the Eleventh Circuit Court of Appeals.
- Represented a government contractor in a commercial dispute brought by former business partner.
- Represented one of the largest U.S. banks in commercial disputes brought by accredited Tenant-in-Common investors. Resulted in complete victory for the bank in summary judgment decisions.
- Represented the former owner of an aviation repair station in a month-long federal criminal jury trial in California. Obtained significant pre-trial victories including severance from co-defendants on the conspiracy charge.
- Defended a large, Florida headquartered financial services institution in a state attorney general’s civil lawsuit while avoiding a potential criminal prosecution of the company. The matter was ultimately dismissed and the court imposed sanctions on the state attorney general’s office. The representation also included defending the client against a purported class action involving similar allegation as the state’s complaint.
- Advised a major U.S.-based seafood supplier in a criminal investigation involving false statements and the Lacey Act. Prepared a significant presentation to the government seeking a non-prosecution agreement.
Super Lawyers (Florida)
2020 | Press release
PETA Wins Bid To Force Private Fla. Zoo To Relocate Tigers
March 24, 2020 | In the news
Justin Cochran named Counsel in Zuckerman Spaeder’s Tampa Office
November 13, 2019 | Press release
Blue Cross Blue Shield of Florida Illegally Denied Coverage to Patient with Severe Eating Disorder, According to New Zuckerman Spaeder Class Action Lawsuit
September 05, 2019 | Press release
Web Search About Zoo No Cause For Recusal, Md. Judge Says
February 28, 2018 | In the news
Dade City’s Wild Things owner plotted tiger removal to defy judge, PETA claims
Tampa Bay Times
February 26, 2018 | In the news
Dade City’s Wild Things owner tests limits of federal court in PETA lawsuit
Tampa Bay Times
January 30, 2018 | In the news
Zoo Tries To Nix Judge In PETA Suit Over Animal Dwellings
January 26, 2018 | In the news
Community in court over monkey farm breeding practices
January 22, 2018 | In the news
PETA alleges Dade City public zoo violated EndangeredSpecies Act
Legal News Line
October 21, 2016 | In the news
Kagan’s Luis Dissent Suggests Way for Defendants to Strike Back
April 11, 2016 | Blog
Hands Off! Supreme Court Rules Defendants May Use Innocent Assets to Hire Lawyers
March 31, 2016 | Blog
Give Me Back My Books and Records: Application of Rule 41(g) in Response to Federal Search Warrants
Bloomberg BNA White Collar Crime Report
February 04, 2014 | Publication
The ESI Document Dump in White Collar Cases: Make DOI- Adhere to Its Own Policies and Comply With Brady
Bloomberg BNA Criminal Law Reporter
March 11, 2013 | Publication
Choose Words Carefully: Determining One’s Status in Federal Investigations
Nevada Business Magazine
November 01, 2012 | Publication
Please Tell Me How This Ends: Determining a Client’s Status in a Grand Jury Investigation
Northern Nevada Business Weekly
September 24, 2012 | Publication