Litigator Lee Fugate handles complex white collar fraud, representing individuals, physicians, attorneys, and corporate officers.
He has served as lead trial counsel in federal cases related to public corruption, defense contract fraud, drug smuggling, racketeering, bank fraud, and continuing criminal enterprise violations.
Lee’s practice also focuses on the representation of individuals and corporate executives in federal grand jury investigations and prosecutions regarding EPA violations, bank fraud, defense contract fraud, mail fraud, health care fraud, and RICO violations.
Before entering private practice, Lee served as a state prosecutor in Florida. In that position, he was involved in trials dealing with complex public corruption, racketeering, and complex narcotics smuggling cases.
- Cumberland School of Law, Samford University, J.D., 1973
- University of South Florida, B.A., 1969
U.S. Court of Appeals, Eleventh Circuit
U.S. District Court, Northern District of Florida
U.S. District Court, Middle District of Florida
- Assistant State's Attorney
- Member, American Bar Association
- Member, Florida Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers
- Member, Federal Bar Association
- Member, National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers
- Founding Member of the Goldberg Inn of Court (First Criminal Inn for Federal/State Judges/Prosecutors and Defense Lawyer)
- Defended a federal wrongful death action against parishioners of a religious organization in which summary judgment was entered for the defendants.
- Represents a pharmacist in an ongoing federal investigation in the Middle District of Florida.
- Represented a defendant in the multi-level marketing fraud trial involving infomercial personality William McCorkle in the U.S. District Court for the Middle District of Florida. While a jury found McCorkle guilty of 82 fraud and money-laundering charges, our client was acquitted of the fraud-conspiracy charge against him.
- Represented a defendant in the Continuing Criminal Enterprise Statute (CCE) and RICO trial involving a convicted drug kingpin in the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Alabama. Lee’s client was acquitted of all but one count and we obtained a reversal of the only count of conviction in the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit.
- Represented a religious organization in a case regarding the death of one of its parishioners. The criminal charges were dismissed.
- Defended a Tampa-based private security firm in both a federal criminal investigation and False Claims Act lawsuit.
- Represented a medical device company and its principal in a federal False Claims Act suit filed by a qui tam relator. A former independent sales representative had alleged that the company fraudulently promoted the sale of a spinal decompression device, resulting in physicians submitting false claims for payment. The court dismissed the suit with prejudice.
- Represented a south Florida energy company in resolving state and federal Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) criminal investigations regarding the alleged rigging of an environmental compliance system, and creation of alleged false records and reports. We conducted an outside counsel internal investigation into carbon feed issues discovered by the company, and self-reported to the authorities.
- Represented the only defendant acquitted in the RICO and drug trafficking trial involving former Major League Baseball pitcher Denny McLain in the U.S. District Court for the Middle District of Florida.
- Defended the principal of a contract administration company in a criminal fraud investigation by the U.S. Department of Justice regarding the primary food-service contracts for the troops in Iraq. We defended the client against a multimillion-dollar arbitration claim and he has not been criminally charged.
- Represents the former executive of a major public health care insurance company in connection with federal health care fraud charges. The indictment involves complex legal and accounting issues regarding the Florida Medicaid behavioral health care program. A related civil suit filed by the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) alleges fraud, false filings, and related violations of the Securities Act.
31 Zuckerman Spaeder Attorneys Recognized in 2019 Edition of The Best Lawyers in America; Three Partners Named “Lawyer of the Year”
August 15, 2018
29 Zuckerman Spaeder Attorneys Recognized in 2018 Edition of The Best Lawyers in America; Partner Mark Foster Named “Lawyer of the Year”
August 16, 2017
30 Zuckerman Spaeder LLP Attorneys Recognized in 2017 Edition of The Best Lawyers in America; Three Partners Named "Lawyers of the Year"
August 15, 2016
Chambers USA Recognizes 13 Zuckerman Spaeder Attorneys in Six Categories
May 27, 2016
32 Zuckerman Spaeder LLP Attorneys Recognized in 2016 Edition of The Best Lawyers in America and Three Partners Named "Lawyers of the Year"; Firm is Top-Listed Nationally for White Collar Criminal Defense
August 17, 2015
Chambers USA Recognizes 15 Zuckerman Spaeder Attorneys; Firm is Nationally Ranked in Financial Services Category Two Years in a Row
June 09, 2015
32 Zuckerman Spaeder LLP Attorneys Recognized in 2015 Edition of The Best Lawyers in America and Two Partners Named “Lawyers of the Year”; Firm Is Top-Listed Nationally for White Collar Criminal Defense
August 26, 2014
Seventeen Zuckerman Spaeder LLP Attorneys Recognized in Seven Categories by Chambers USA
June 05, 2014
27 Zuckerman Spaeder LLP Attorneys Recognized in 2014 Edition of The Best Lawyers in America®; Firm Is Top-Listed Nationally for White Collar Criminal Defense and Two Partners Named “Lawyers of the Year”
August 15, 2013
Chambers USA Ranks 15 Zuckerman Spaeder LLP Attorneys; Recognizes Firm for Five Practice Areas
May 29, 2013
Zuckerman Spaeder LLP and 25 of Its Attorneys Recognized by 2013 Edition of Benchmark Litigation
October 01, 2012
AV® Peer Review Rated, Martindale-Hubbell
September 01, 2012
26 Zuckerman Spaeder LLP Attorneys Recognized in 2013 Edition of The Best Lawyers in America
August 23, 2012
Chambers USA Ranks Zuckerman Spaeder LLP the Top Washington, DC White Collar Firm for Third Straight Year
June 08, 2012
24 Zuckerman Spaeder LLP Attorneys Featured in Benchmark Litigation
November 16, 2011
27 Zuckerman Spaeder LLP Attorneys Recognized in 2012 Edition of The Best Lawyers in America
September 08, 2011
Five Zuckerman Spaeder LLP Attorneys Named “Legal Elite” by Florida Trend
July 01, 2011
Chambers USA Ranks Zuckerman Spaeder LLP as Top White-Collar Crime Firm in Washington, DC
June 13, 2011
Three Zuckerman Spaeder LLP Attorneys Named Florida “Super Lawyers,” Another as a Florida “Rising Star”
June 08, 2011
21 Zuckerman Spaeder LLP Attorneys Featured in Benchmark Litigation
November 03, 2010
24 Zuckerman Spaeder LLP Attorneys Recognized in 2011 Edition of The Best Lawyers in America
August 01, 2010
Zuckerman Spaeder LLP Recognized in 2010 Edition of Chambers USA: America’s Leading Lawyers for Business
June 15, 2010
14 Zuckerman Spaeder Attorneys Honored in Benchmark Litigation
October 08, 2009
22 Zuckerman Spaeder Attorneys Recognized in 2010 Edition of The Best Lawyers in America
August 30, 2009
Twenty Zuckerman Spaeder LLP Partners Recognized in 2009 Edition of The Best Lawyers in America
July 30, 2008
Zuckerman Spaeder LLP Wins Pre-Trial Dismissal of High-Profile Criminal Charges Against the Church of Scientology
June 13, 2000