Peter R. Kolker
Peter R. Kolker litigates on behalf of clients whose financial disputes have become legal cases.
In particular, Peter helps clients when their matters require asset valuation and reconstruction of complex transactions. He also represents individuals in personal litigation relating to the division of assets.
Building on the firm’s substantial bankruptcy expertise, Peter has represented debtors, creditors, and Chapter 11 trustees in adversary proceedings in the bankruptcy court and in appellate review of those determinations in district courts. Real estate litigation, including financing issues, land use disputes, and appraisal matters, also comprise part of his practice. In personal legal matters, he has assisted individuals in disputes involving substantial assets and contested estate matters that entail challenges to estate-planning documents and trusts.
Another facet of Peter’s practice is the assessment of auditing services provided to public and private companies. In that context, Peter has substantial experience applying generally accepted accounting principles (GAAP) and generally accepted auditing standards (GAAS) to evaluate the adequacy of auditing services.
Peter has appeared in federal and state courts, including bankruptcy courts, in each of the jurisdictions in which he is admitted, both in jury and non-jury trials and in appellate matters. He has also represented clients in mediations and arbitration and in proceedings outside the United States under the Hague Convention for securing testimony abroad.
Peter also has extensive experience in the criminal law area, having represented senior executives of publicly held and private corporations in federal criminal trials and in connection with securities, banking, and other financial investigations. The international dimension of this practice has included representation of executives in federal antitrust investigations involving multi-national corporations as well as representation of businessmen and women involved in transactions generating inquiries under the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act (FCPA). Peter’s commercial experience includes a wide variety of business transactions and he has facilitated the representation of executives with criminal law issues in both the domestic and international arenas. He has steered a number of executives through the shoals of federal investigations without prosecution.
Peter joined Zuckerman Spaeder after serving in the office of the Deputy Attorney General at the U.S. Department of Justice in Washington, DC and gaining substantial criminal trial and appellate experience, principally at the Public Defender Service for the District of Columbia.
- University of Chicago Law School, J.D., 1966
- Cornell University, B.A., 1963
District of Columbia
U.S. Court of Appeals, District of Columbia Circuit
U.S. Court of Appeals, Fourth Circuit
U.S. Court of Appeals, Eleventh Circuit
U.S. District Court, District of Columbia
U.S. District Court, District of Maryland
U.S. District Court, Northern District of Illinois
U.S. District Court, Southern District of Florida
U.S. District Court, Middle District of Florida
U.S. District Court, Northern District of Florida
- Office of the Deputy Attorney General
- U.S. Department of Justice
- U.S. Department of Justice
- Public Defender
- District of Columbia
- Visiting Professor, Masaryk University (Brno, Czech Republic), October 2011
- Visiting Professor, Charles University (Prague, Czech Republic), October 2012
- Fulbright Specialist Designation, U.S. Department of State, 2012
- Executive Committee of the Board of Directors, Council for Court Excellence
- Advisory Committee of the Board of Directors, Legal Counsel for the Elderly
- Represented an accountant in a federal trial in which the client’s activities were alleged to violate ERISA standards. After extensive pre-trial discovery, the case proceeded to trial in the U.S. District Court and the client was fully exonerated.
- Represented a business against a major accounting firm whose audits failed to detect flaws in the company’s internal controls and accounting. The case was vigorously contested in state court, requiring extensive discovery concerning accounting and business matters and necessitating depositions in Europe and throughout the United States. A few weeks before a scheduled three-week trial, the case was resolved during a mediation.
- Assisted a client in the valuation of a unique art collection incident to a marital dissolution. The case posed numerous difficult appraisal and valuation questions and was resolved and a trial averted after discovery illuminated deficiencies in the opponent’s contentions.
- Represented members of a major law firm in legal malpractice litigation with embedded assertions of ethical misconduct. A range of depositions, including those of ethics experts, valuation experts, and experts in a regulatory field were required to position the client towards a favorable, mediated resolution of the case.
- Represented an accountant affiliated with a major bank concerning adequacy of his analysis of a complex transaction criticized by regulators. A settlement of the proceeding was achieved that allowed the accountant to continue working without disruption to his career or license.
- Represented a large nonprofit owner in a litigation and related arbitration over the construction of a large conference center. An arbitration was commenced involving construction experts testifying to the sequence and adequacy of construction techniques. Because of the high-stakes nature of the dispute, the parties were able to achieve a mediated solution of the dispute.
- Represented a European-based executive of a major company in a complex antitrust investigation. We were successful in steering our client through the process without charges being filed.
- Represented the CEO of a private company in an investigation under the FCPA, successfully resolving the inquiry.
31 Zuckerman Spaeder Attorneys Recognized in 2019 Edition of The Best Lawyers in America; Three Partners Named “Lawyer of the Year”
August 15, 2018
29 Zuckerman Spaeder Attorneys Recognized in 2018 Edition of The Best Lawyers in America; Partner Mark Foster Named “Lawyer of the Year”
August 16, 2017
30 Zuckerman Spaeder LLP Attorneys Recognized in 2017 Edition of The Best Lawyers in America; Three Partners Named "Lawyers of the Year"
August 15, 2016
The Public Justice Foundation Names Zuckerman Spaeder's Shawn Naunton One of its "Trial Lawyers of the Year" for Landmark Anti-Terrorism Case
July 24, 2016
Sizzle and Steak at Zuckerman Spaeder
The National Law Journal
January 25, 2016
Why Did 70,000 Washingtonians Ignore Their Jury Summons Last Year?
December 14, 2015
Legal Counsel for the Elderly
October 30, 2015
Zuckerman Spaeder LLP Secures Settlement with Arab Bank Following Precedent-Setting Victory in Terrorism Trial
August 19, 2015
32 Zuckerman Spaeder LLP Attorneys Recognized in 2016 Edition of The Best Lawyers in America and Three Partners Named "Lawyers of the Year"; Firm is Top-Listed Nationally for White Collar Criminal Defense
August 17, 2015
32 Zuckerman Spaeder LLP Attorneys Recognized in 2015 Edition of The Best Lawyers in America and Two Partners Named “Lawyers of the Year”; Firm Is Top-Listed Nationally for White Collar Criminal Defense
August 26, 2014
27 Zuckerman Spaeder LLP Attorneys Recognized in 2014 Edition of The Best Lawyers in America®; Firm Is Top-Listed Nationally for White Collar Criminal Defense and Two Partners Named “Lawyers of the Year”
August 15, 2013
AV® Peer Review Rated, Martindale-Hubbell
September 01, 2012
26 Zuckerman Spaeder LLP Attorneys Recognized in 2013 Edition of The Best Lawyers in America
August 23, 2012
27 Zuckerman Spaeder LLP Attorneys Recognized in 2012 Edition of The Best Lawyers in America
September 08, 2011
24 Zuckerman Spaeder LLP Attorneys Recognized in 2011 Edition of The Best Lawyers in America
August 01, 2010
22 Zuckerman Spaeder Attorneys Recognized in 2010 Edition of The Best Lawyers in America
August 30, 2009
Peter R. Kolker and Steven N. Herman Successfully Defend Client in ERISA Action
July 10, 2009
Twenty Zuckerman Spaeder LLP Partners Recognized in 2009 Edition of The Best Lawyers in America
July 30, 2008
Eleven Zuckerman Spaeder LLP Attorneys Named "Best Lawyers in America" in 2006
November 01, 2005
Eight Zuckerman Spaeder LLP Attorneys Named "Best Lawyers in America" in 2005
January 05, 2005
Eleven Zuckerman Spaeder LLP Partners Named "Top Lawyers" by Washingtonian Magazine
November 10, 2004
Top Lawyers, Washingtonian, 2004
April 13, 2004
Share of $17 Million Lottery Winning Is Awarded to Separated Wife of Gambler
May 02, 2000