Shawn P. Naunton
From representing victims of international terrorism to defending individuals against securities fraud charges, Shawn P. Naunton is an experienced litigator with a broad practice focused on complex civil and criminal litigation.
Recognized as one of the Trial Lawyers of the Year in 2016 by the Public Justice Foundation, Shawn also serves as the managing partner of the firm’s New York office.
Shawn represents clients in complex business disputes, securities litigation, investigations, and enforcement actions. He has extensive experience litigating cases in federal and state courts, and representing clients in investigations by the Department of Justice, the New York County District Attorney’s Office, the New York State Attorney General, the SEC, and FINRA.
Shawn has been repeatedly selected by his peers as one of The Best Lawyers in America and recognized as a “Litigation Star” in New York by Benchmark Litigation. The Public Justice Foundation also recently named Shawn one of its Trial Lawyers of the Year for 2016 in recognition of his work on behalf of victims of international terrorism in Linde v. Arab Bank plc—the first case in which a U.S. jury found a bank liable for funding a terrorist organization.
Shawn’s other recent trial victories include his successful defense of Gary Prince against charges of securities fraud by the SEC. During a three-week bench trial in federal court, Shawn’s cross-examination of eight of the 13 fact witnesses helped secure dismissal of all six charges of securities fraud against Mr. Prince.
Shawn also secured a significant trial victory in the Delaware Court of Chancery on behalf of a former officer of CIBC World Markets Corp. who sued to compel CIBC to advance defense costs for proceedings arising out of the officer’s employment by the brokerage house.
- University of Virginia School of Law, J.D., 1997
- Virginia Law Review
- Virginia Law Review
- Princeton University, B.A., cum laude, 1993
U.S. Court of Appeals, District of Columbia Circuit
U.S. Court of Appeals, Second Circuit
U.S. Court of Appeals, Fourth Circuit
U.S. District Court, Southern District of New York
U.S. District Court, Eastern District of New York
U.S. District Court, District of Maryland
U.S. District Court, District of Colorado
- Hon. J. Frederick Motz, U.S. District Court, District of Maryland
- New York State Bar Association Board of Advisors, Managing Partners Conference
- Advisory Board Member, Covenant House New York
- Currently representing several hundred plaintiffs in civil actions pending in the Eastern District of New York against Credit Lyonnais, S.A. and National Westminster Bank. Plaintiffs allege that the banks violated the federal Anti-Terrorism Act by knowingly providing material support to the terrorist organization Hamas in connection with 24 terrorist attacks perpetrated in Israel during the Second Intifada. Mr. Naunton also represented plaintiffs in a separate action raising similar claims against Arab Bank plc. In that case, a Brooklyn jury found the Bank liable for supporting Hamas in a landmark verdict after a nine-week trial in autumn 2014.
- Defended former IMF president Dominique Strauss-Kahn against criminal assault charges in a case that received intense worldwide media attention. All criminal charges against Mr. Strauss-Kahn ultimately were dismissed. Mr. Naunton also represented Mr. Strauss-Kahn in related civil matters.
- Defended a broker in an SEC enforcement proceeding against charges that he used deceptive practices to time mutual funds. During the proceeding, Mr. Naunton won a landmark ruling from the SEC that ensured his client’s access to evidence that previously would not have been discoverable. Commentators in The New York Law Journal predicted that the ruling will have far-reaching effects on the way in which the SEC authorizes cases and engages in litigation.
- Currently representing a Swiss investment bank in an action in the Southern District of New York involving claims for breach of contract and breach of fiduciary duty.
- Currently representing a major health care provider in an action in the District of Connecticut involving claims for fraud and violations of ERISA.
- Currently representing the former CEO of one of the largest non-profits in New York in investigations by the Department of Justice, the New York County District Attorney’s Office, and the New York State Attorney General related to the non-profit’s bankruptcy filing.
- Currently representing the executive director of a major New York nonprofit in an internal investigation of alleged financial improprieties.
- Currently representing the President and CEO of an aviation company in an action pending in the Southern District of New York involving claims for breach of contract, fraud, assault, and battery.
- Represented the President of a prominent university in an investigation by the New York State Attorney General and related litigation.
- Won a resounding trial victory for Gary Prince, a former officer of Integral Systems, Inc., in a case brought by the SEC charging Mr. Prince with six counts of securities fraud.
- Represented the CEO of a Fortune 500 company in connection with an insider trading investigation in the Southern District of New York. No charges were brought against our client as a result of the investigation.
- Represented a group of investment banks and hedge funds in litigation arising out of the bankruptcy of Washington Mutual Bank.
- Represented various officers of a Fortune 500 company in an investigation by the New York County District Attorney’s Office of alleged kickbacks and misappropriation of corporate funds. No charges were brought against our clients as a result of the investigation.
- Secured a significant trial victory in the Delaware Court of Chancery on behalf of a former officer of CIBC World Markets Corp. who sued to compel CIBC to advance defense costs for five separate proceedings arising out of his employment by the brokerage house. The proceedings included investigations by the SEC and the New York State Attorney General, an SEC enforcement action, and related proceedings before the New York Stock Exchange and the National Association of Securities Dealers.
- Represented a prominent law firm in an action in the Southern District of New York involving claims for breach of contract and conversion.
- Represented a prominent law firm in an action in the Southern District of New York involving claims for patent infringement, copyright infringement, and unfair competition.
- Represented a privately held energy company in an action in New York Supreme Court involving claims for breach of contract, breach of fiduciary duty, and tortious interference.
- Secured a favorable ruling, after a nine-day trial in an SEC enforcement proceeding, on behalf of a former portfolio manager of a mutual fund that allegedly permitted market timing.
- Represented the former president of a large commodities broker in a criminal prosecution in the Southern District of New York alleging securities fraud, money laundering, and conspiracy.
Investor Drops Suit Over Cryptocurrency Hacking
October 22, 2018
United Healthcare Class Action Says Therapy Reimbursement is Limited
Top Class Actions
October 19, 2018
United Healthcare Sued For 'Arbitrary' Therapy Payment Policy
October 17, 2018
Zuckerman Spaeder Files Class Action Complaint Against United HealthCare Insurance Co. and United Behavioral Health For Violation Of Mental Health Parity Laws
October 17, 2018
Insurance Giant Hit With Class Action Alleging Underpayment for Mental Health Visits
October 17, 2018
Cryptocurrency Creators Say 'Nano' Coin Is Not A Security
September 24, 2018
31 Zuckerman Spaeder Attorneys Recognized in 2019 Edition of The Best Lawyers in America; Three Partners Named “Lawyer of the Year”
August 15, 2018
Trump Atty Drops Libel Suit Against BuzzFeed, Fusion GPS
April 19, 2018
29 Zuckerman Spaeder Attorneys Recognized in 2018 Edition of The Best Lawyers in America; Partner Mark Foster Named “Lawyer of the Year”
August 16, 2017
2nd Circ. Pauses Iran-Linked Tower Battle PendingReview
October 24, 2016
30 Zuckerman Spaeder LLP Attorneys Recognized in 2017 Edition of The Best Lawyers in America; Three Partners Named "Lawyers of the Year"
August 15, 2016
The Public Justice Foundation Names Zuckerman Spaeder's Shawn Naunton One of its "Trial Lawyers of the Year" for Landmark Anti-Terrorism Case
July 24, 2016
Zuckerman Spaeder LLP Secures Settlement with Arab Bank Following Precedent-Setting Victory in Terrorism Trial
August 19, 2015
32 Zuckerman Spaeder LLP Attorneys Recognized in 2016 Edition of The Best Lawyers in America and Three Partners Named "Lawyers of the Year"; Firm is Top-Listed Nationally for White Collar Criminal Defense
August 17, 2015
Zuckerman Spaeder LLP Client Prevails Over SEC on Federal Securities Fraud Charges Following a Three-Week Trial
May 09, 2013
Strauss-Kahn, hotel maid settle civil lawsuit over alleged attack
Thomson Reuters News & Insight
December 10, 2012
Zuckerman Spaeder LLP and 25 of Its Attorneys Recognized by 2013 Edition of Benchmark Litigation
October 01, 2012
Strauss-Kahn lawyers seek to dismiss latest claim from maid
Thomson Reuters News & Insight
July 19, 2012
Zuckerman Spaeder LLP Attorneys Win Preliminary Injunction Requiring Insurance Carrier to Continue to Advance Legal Fees to Hedge Fund
May 10, 2012
Zuckerman Spaeder LLP Named to The National Law Journal’s Midsize Hot List for Third Consecutive Year
May 01, 2012
Zuckerman Spaeder LLP Takes New Office Space in New York to Accommodate Growth
January 11, 2012
24 Zuckerman Spaeder LLP Attorneys Featured in Benchmark Litigation
November 16, 2011
21 Zuckerman Spaeder LLP Attorneys Featured in Benchmark Litigation
November 03, 2010
14 Zuckerman Spaeder Attorneys Honored in Benchmark Litigation
October 08, 2009